TODAY IS RIHANNA’S BIRTHDAY!!!! The Barbados princess is kicking off Pisces Season in the world Of Pop Culture (may I add that I too am a Pisces…. Feb. 27th!!!) Anyways, in honor of the Queen of Ratchet Sophistication and the Leader of the “Free of F*cks” world, I am posting my album review of “ANTI” the latest musical endeavor that dropped a few weeks ago.
Let me start by saying…… CONGRATULATIONS RIRI!!! YOU MADE US WAIT FOR AN ETERNITY TO GET NEW MUSIC AND WHEN IT DROPPED, WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! Seriously!! After the months of rumors and supposed leaks and waiting for those rooms to unlock in her app, we FINALLY hear “ANTI” and it is not everything…. But instead MORE than what we expected!! Here’s why it has become my daily #Earworm for choreographing, cooking, planning lessons for school, eating, and late night romps.
- My 5 Favorite songs of the album are:
- “Woo”– HANDS DOWN!!!! Favorite favorite favorite!! This ish is on RPEAT!! I imagine myself in a dark room with some lava lamps, with some dark liquid in a glass, sitting in an oversized black chair, surrounded by a cloud of hazy smoke and incense… I have so many feels with this song I cant contain in all in writing!
- “Love on the Brain”– RiRi got some voice lessons ya’ll and it’s showing on this song! She has a doo-wop, Prince-esque, old school love song feeling to it with the guitar strings being more melodic and her voice being less sultry and more palpable (soft/vulnerable). I’ve actually choreographed a dance to this already and it is a heart wrencher!!
- “Needed Me”– When I hear this, I can’t tell if you I’m singing this song to someone in particular or if I am the subject matter of this song (I hope not). Either way I am pointing my index finger strongly in front of me during the whole chorus!! IM TALKING TO YOU PUNK!! (sorry I had a moment)
- “Kiss It Better”– Rihanna perfectly mixes vulnerability, heartache, humanity, and sexual energy in this song. If I had an ex who I wanted to take a 2nd chance with, I would play this song right before we met up to “talk.”
- “Work”– Well hello there start of summer!! It’s snowy and chilly and cold here on the east coast but I can imagine the pool parties already! And I’m ready for them! This song is even CLEAN, so it can be played for all ages and at backyard barbecues. The clip shown is exactly how I plan to dance at these events too!
- RIHANNA IS SINGING MOST OF THIS ALBUM– and she sounds like she’s grown! I’m happy to hear her push through her range, develop better control of her chords, and use more breathe to carry her through high notes in the main 3 ballads of the album… Never Ending, Love on The Brain, and Close to You showcase this artistry growth well.
- Choreographically, I can develop an entire production around the themes of her songs on this album. And as a dance teacher of high school students, I am appreciative of this creativity expression that provides such visually captivating and inspiring ideas.
- NO SKIPS ON THIS ALBUM!! EVERY SINGLE SONG IS WORTH LISTENING TO!! Her ½ singing, ¼ rapping, ¼ talking at someone specific lyrics, catchy beats, and story telling skills keep you intrigued. I can listen to “ANTI” all the way through without any skips (expect Higher- I don’t necessarily wanna hear that song, but I could listen to it). You can play this in the background while you do just about any activity….. cooking dinner, getting ready for bed, doing work, cleaning the house, stretching, meeting up with a DM, late night rendezvous, etc. THIS ALBUM HAS NO SKIPS!
- And lastly, the reason you should listen to this album is because it clearly shows Rihanna’s growth as an artist and the power she has to get and captivate an audience with very little fanfare and over the top entertainment. The only real “banger” she has is “Work” and the rest have a dark, sultry, steamy, chill vibe to them. Nothing overly in your face, but definitely enough to get your attention, make you want more, and keep feigning for it long after she’s move on the next project. ANTI will keep you coming back for more!
So once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIHANNA!!! Thank you for taking bold, courageous, non-f*ck giving, creative, and expressive risks in fashion, female empowerment, sexuality, and of course music. PopStyleBlog salutes you as an honored member of your #Navy.
Til next time, keep it #PopStyle!
*THE ONES I GOT RIGHT ARE BOLDED! I got 12 out of 20 correct!!! I know my music!!
Hey PopStylers!!! Tonight is the 58th Grammy Award Show!! If you know me, then you know that the Grammys are my show!! I LIVE for the MUSIC and the PERFORMERS and the ACTION of this show!! And of course my #1 artistic muse and boo thang Lady Gaga is performing and nominated so I am excited!!
Here are my predictions for some of the bigger categories winners and should be winners….. Granted I dont know some of the nominees in the categories (like Country, music for film) but that’s not gonna stop me from predicting a winner haha
1. RECORD OF THE YEAR: Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars
2. ALBUM OF THE YEAR: This is a tough one because Ive recently gotten into “Sound and Color” by Alabama Shakes. But Im gonna say the winner is “1989” by Taylor Swift
3. SONG OF THE YEAR: “Alright” by Kendrick Lamar HANDS DOWN!! This was the anthem of the summer and the anthem of the #BlackLivesMatter movement. FTW!! I even posted about this back in June 2015….MusicCrushMonday- Kendrick Lamar June 2015
5. BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE: “Thinking Out Loud” Ed Sheeran. This video is gorgeous!!
6. BEST POP DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE: It comes down to 3 nominees in this category… I think Kendrick Lamar should be recognized for his duo with Taylor Swift, but it’ll probably go to Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth for “See You Again”…. can we say heart strings?? (MISS YOU Paul Walker!!)
7. BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM: 1989 by Taylor Swift
9. BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE: Don’t Wanna Fight by Alabama Shakes…. this group is growing on me strong
10. BEST ROCK ALBUM: I like the sound of Muse… I’ll give it to Muse
11. BEST R&B PERFORMANCE: Rise Up by Andra Day
is the epitome of what real R&B should sound like!! Dear God please let her win this and reclaim R&B!!!
13. BEST R&B ALBUM: Jazmine Sullivan came back with a strong alum after years of being gone from music scene….
14. BEST RAP PERFORMANCE: Even President Obama referenced these lyrics with his “pop off” comment….Back To Back by Drake
15. BEST RAP/SUNG COLLABORATION: I feel like I should say Glory, but Im gonna say “These Walls” instead… it’s a nice sound for Kendrick Lamar
16. BEST RAP SONG: Once again…. Alright by Kendrick Lamar FTW!! Even though Trap Queen will never get old….
17. BEST RAP ALBUM: THIS IS TOUGH!!! 3 way tie between Drake, J. Cole, and Kendrick Lamar… sorry I cant choose! (We sort of)
18. BEST COUNTRY DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE: I dont know country music like that anymore… but I LOVE the song “Girl Crush” by Little Big Town… FTW!!!
HOLLYWOOD, CA – FEBRUARY 22: Lady Gaga performs onstage during the 87th Annual Academy Awards at Dolby Theatre on February 22, 2015 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
19. BEST SONG WRITTEN FOR VISUAL MEDIA: Ummm… this is my boo’s category…. so clearly Im voting for Lady Gaga because well…. she deserves it and she’s amazing and this song is about rape…. talent and an activist… visually captivating message and lyrically informing… FTW!!! Til It Happens To You by Lady Gaga & Diane Warren, songwriters (Lady Gaga)
Hope to see you on social media tonight… 8pm on CBS!! And til next time…. Keep it #Popstyle!!!
@Popstyleblog on Twitter
@manifested55 on Instagram
I love these 2 dudes videos!! They are 2 of the 5 members of the group Pentatonix (an acapella group who got it’s initial fame from the show the Sing Off). Pentatonix seriously has talent and their rendition os classic pop, hip hop, Star Wars scores, Christmas music, and original songs are uncontested!! Check them out!!
Back to Superfruit…. they made Broadway versions of some of the most popular hip hop tracks of 2015 and they are super catchy!! Im listing part 1 and part 2 of their videos because they are best when watched back to back! My faves include:
Hip Hop Goes Broadway Part 1
“Pills and Potions” sounds like a real Broadway song!
Hip Hop Goes Broadway Part 2
Bobby Shrmurda- Lion King rendition on fleek!
“Blessed”- it’s now a ballad!!
“Energy”- better than the original version
Hey PopStylers!!! In the spirit of this day, I should say Happy Valentine’s Day…. but I don’t actually celebrate the holiday. (But I would if Channing Tatum asked me… whew yes LAWD!!) Ever since I was little I was never really into the whole idea of Valentine’s Day. Yes I cut out the heart shapes and gave my friends valentine cards from the dollar store. And YES my father gave me a dozen roses EVERY single year and a stuffed animal (He still does actually and Im a grown woman!!) My older brother is always the first one to call me and wish my Happy Valentine’s Day (now along with my nephew who called me this morning) and he even sent me flowers every year til I was out of graduate school. So it’s not because I haven’t experienced “love” on this day before. I just dont do Valentine’s Day so some reason. What I usually do on this day is….
- Buy myself something I want (perfume, new shoes,a bra)
- Wear a nice outfit that is NOT red, pink, purple, or white (too commercial)
- Cook a nice meal I’ve been wanting for a while (usually a pasta dish like Lasagna, Baked Ziti, or this year’s Shrimp and Spinach Fettuccine Alfredo)
- Listen to my “I Don’t Do V-Day” music playlist. Some of the tracks are:
- “What’s Love Got to Do With It” by Tina Turner
- “Happy Valentine’s Day” by OutKast
- “Damaged” by Danity Kane
- “You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi
- “So Sick” by Ne-Yo
- “Somebody to Love” by Queen
- “Love Yourself” by Justin Beiber
Celebrate love however and with whomever you would like. As for myself… I Don’t Do V-Day. Enjoy the tracks, listen, sing along, and save them for next year. And til next time keep it #PopStyle!!
Follow me on Spotify!
@PopStyleBlog on Twitter
@manifested55 on Instagram
Well folks the New Year is upon us here in America. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of those around the world who have already celebrated!! It’s been a great year in the world of #PopStyleBlog.com and I am very thankful for all the views, visits, shares, retweets, mentions, and likes. As 2016 is on the near horizon, I want to review the top 10 #PopStyleMoments of 2015 that stuck out to me. So without further ado…..
Top 10 #PopStyleMoments of 2015:
- Taylor Swift ruled the world…. literally… a world tour, video premieres, and all of her envious #SquadGoal pics on stage and at award shows. #SwiftiesRiseUp
- Adele sang her way back into our ears even though she never left our hearts. Her album #25 broke every record known the man and music… nobody can deny that
- Beyonce was silent…. and I was thankful for that…
- 2015 was not the year for Romance. From Gwen/Gavin to Piggy/Kermit to Miranda/Blake, everlasting love just not in the cards for 2015.
- Kendrick Lamar brought back the essence of hip hop with “Alright”. Finally a message with the music.. the way it was meant to be!
- Got Beef?? Drake/Meek Mills… Nicki/Miley… gotta love a good twitter smack down
- Black Twitter… if you don’t get it, you don’t get it.
- One Direction is no more.… its the end of an error ladies and gentlemen… Boy Bands are official on the decline.
- Celebrity kids.… How many times can we see a pic, video, vine, or meme of Riley Curry and North West?? They’re cute but come on….
- Highly anticipated video premieres. Rihanna, Madonna, Nicki/Beyonce, Drake, etc all released videos that kept us teetering with the idea of paying $20 a month just to be the first to see them… no thanks
Til Next Year….. Keep it #PopStyle and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! #2016
@PopStyleBlog on Twittter
@manifested55 on Instagram
The VS Fashion Show is the biggest fashion show of the year. Primarily because of the marketing machine of the brand and it’s the only televised fashion show. (Seriously, when else have you seen Alexander McQueen, Marc Jacobs, or Michael Kors on tv?? NEVER!!) The VS Fashion Show is an iconic staple in the fashion, pop culture, and entertainment world.
I have been a fan of the VS Fashion Show for years now. I used to think people (mainly men) only watched it to see tall, “exotic”, women strut in skimpy lingerie and high heels. But it’s so much more than that!! I watch the show ritually every year for the production value, the musical performances that enhance the fashion itself, and the artistry and creativity of making a bra/underwear into wearable art.
Goal 1: I want my boo to look at me, smile, and sing to me as I strut in my stuff
Goal 2: I want a fireplace, a cuddle buddy, some fur boots and snow stat!!
Goal 3: I need this as my wedding dress… Just imagine a skirt attached to it. (I wonder if my parents would be mad at this choice)
Goal 4: The next time I enter a room
Goal 5: How I will walk into my high reunion next week.. remember me bishes??Goal 6: My attire for when I go to Denver in January… Snow bunny on Fleek!!k!
Goal 7: My future reception dress or all white party dress.. whichever comes first
Goal 8: My after the reception… or party…. well you can figure it out…..
Goal 9: I want to look like this when I stand on beach…. Sun on my back
Goal 10: To one day appear on a runway/stage with my wings spread wide, and a crowd cheering me with their love and support
This is a pretty lofty list to get through… should hold me over til next year ya think 😉 Til next time, Keep it #PopStyle
Good evening PopStylers!! Another week is upon us and another Dance Viral Video is in store for you! I am LOVIN’ this new Adele #25 album so of course “Hello” is on constant repeat. It’s sure to be a hit in dance concerts, competitions, recitals, and lyrical classes everywhere! (I’ve already played through the whole album in my classes at school for a yoga day. Shrug)
Anyways, I saw this video on Facebook and it blew my mind. Imagine the powerful vocals and haunting melody with controlled, smooth, and direct movement of 3 street style dancers… Epic! The muscle control and shapes made by their bodies is enough to make any dancer appreciate how versatile dancers need to be. This goes to show you ….. That song selection doesn’t determine how you dance. The movement will speak for itself regardless of the song. Enjoy!! And til next time keep it #PopStyle
Kinjaz- Hello dance video
Good evening Pop-Stylers!! It was so hard to choose just 1 Dance Viral Video (#DVV) for you to enjoy so I have chosen 2 as a result. I picked them for 2 reasons:
- I am choreographing the Kelly Clarkson cover of this song now for my intermediate level dance class at school
- I am waiting with bated breath on the release of #Anti from Rihanna… any day now RiRi…. any day now….
So my 2 choices for #DVV is for “B*tch Better Have My Money”! The 1st is by Tricia Miranda of LA and the 2nd is by Royal Family of New Zealand. Both of their choreography and dancers give me life!! And it takes the song to a whole other level by lifting it past the club anthem and into a personal expression of artistry (especially the Royal Family mix). So enjoy these videos and til next time… Keep it #PopStyle
Tricia Miranda choreography “BBHMM”
Royal Family World of Hip Hop Championship
@PopStyleBlog on Twitter
@manifested55 on Instagram
Follow the blog!
The first pick for my #DVV (Dance Viral Video) is none other than the Epic Segway Hoverboard rendition of “What Do You Mean?” by Justin Bieber. Not only is the song super catchy, but the creativity of using the Segway Hoverboards takes it to another level. The way the boys use their bodies to move the hoverboards seamlessly in and out of formations and positions is eye catching. Enjoy this Dance Viral Video! And do’nt forget to subscribe to PopStyleBlog!
Welcome to PopStyleBlog.com!! I’m your opinionated host A.D. Mack, and I’m here to give you the latest news of the Entertainment World, Performing Arts, Fashion Frenzies, Music Mania, and much more!! The world we live in today is OBSESSED with Pop Culture— And I am definitely no exception!! I love everything about Pop Culture…… the People, the Events, the Performances, the Style….. everything!!! And who wouldnt want to listent to my off the cuff take on all things Pop Culture and Poignant? So enjoy the articles, pictures, gossip, and postings. And don’t forget to share and leave a comment with the hashtag #PopStyle!